Welcome to ICC's Proposal / Research Paper Center
This center should help you create a first working thesis statement for a TOEFL 3 - E101 Proposal (AEE) essay, or a problem / solution statement for a TOEFL 3 - E102 Research Paper. In addition, you can produce an E101 Proposal essay outline, or an E102 Research Guide. To use it, you will need:
- a topic (i.e. three key words)
- a specific problem concerning the topic
- a popular or commonly-held solution to the problem
- the solution that you favor (thesis)
- at least one reason why other people might disagree with your solution
- eight reasons why you believe your favored solution is true, correct or best
- a description of what you want readers who agree with your favored solution to do and how to do it
- Answer the following questions in short phrases (not full sentences).
- Except as specifically indicated in item #2, do not begin with a capital letter or use terminal puctuation (e.g. period or questions mark).
- Click the "Thesis" button when you're finished.
- A window will pop open with a suggested working thesis.
- Go back and adjust your answers to smooth out the workig thesis until it makes sense and expresses your opinion clearly, completely and concisely.
- Finally, click the "Outline" button to generate a working outline you can use to organize your zero draft into a first draft of a persuasive AEE addressing your working thesis.